Knowing is half the battle! Follow these safety and usage guidelines to avoid potentially serious injury to people and/or damage to your new neodymium magnets. Neodymium magnets are not toys and should be treated as such.
Strong Magnets Can Cause Serious Physical Injury
Neodymium is the most powerful Rare Earth compound available commercially. If not handled properly, especially when handling 2 or more magnets at once, fingers and other body parts can be pinched. Powerful attraction forces can cause neodymium magnets to slam together with great force and may catch you by surprise! Be keenly aware of this and wear appropriate protective equipment when handling and installing neodymium magnets.
Keep Strong Magnets Away From Children
As mentioned, neodymium magnets are very strong and can cause physical injury. Small magnets are a choking hazard. If swallowed, magnets can attach to one another through the intestinal walls. This requires immediate medical attention and can cause serious intestinal injury or death. Do not treat neodymium magnets the same as toy magnets and keep them away from children and babies at all times.
Strong Magnets Can Affect Pacemakers & Other Implanted Medical Devices
Strong magnetic fields can adversely affect pacemakers, ICDs, and other implanted medical devices. Some implanted devices come equipped with a magnetic field shutdown feature. Avoid placing neodymium magnets near these types of devices at all times.
Neodymium Dust Is Flammable
Do not machine or drill neodymium magnets, as neodymium dust is extremely flammable and can present a fire hazard.
Magnetic Fields Can Damage Magnetic Media
Avoid placing strong magnets near magnetic media, such as credit/debit cards, ATM cards, membership cards, computer discs and drives, cassette tapes, videotapes, televisions, computer monitors, and CRT displays.
Neodymium Is Fragile
Although most of our products have the neodymium disc protected by a steel pot, the neodymium material itself is extremely brittle and fragile. Do not attempt to remove the magnet disc from the pot as it will likely crumble. When handling multiple magnets, allowing them to snap together with force can cause breakage.
Neodymium Is Corrosive
Our neodymium magnets come with a triple-plating to mitigate corrosion. However, when used underwater or outdoors with the presence of moisture, corrosion can occur over time which will degrade the magnetic force. Handling with care to prevent damage to the coating will prolong the life of your neodymium magnets. To repel moisture, keep your magnets and hardware coated with WD-40® or a silicone lubricant.
Extreme Temperatures Can Demagnetize Neodymium
Do not use neodymium magnets near extreme heat sources. For example, the firebox on your grill. Or the engine compartment or near the exhaust system on your vehicle. The operating temperature of a neodymium magnet depends on its shape, grade, and usage. But they can lose strength if exposed to extreme temperatures. The most common grade magnets withstand temperatures to roughly 80°C (175°F).
Strong Magnetic Fields Can Cause Navigation Equipment Interference
Strong magnetic fields interfere with navigation equipment, like a compass and magnetometer. They can also affect internal compasses of GPS navigation devices, smartphones, and tablets.